Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Money Saving Tip #37: Store Matching Prices

With competition between major retail chains and grocery stores growing, many of them are willing to match competitors adverstised prices.  This can be a very good thing if you want to save yourself an extra trip running to another store.

But, you can really maximize your savings if you know how to use this stratgey to your full advantage.  I frequently do my grocery shopping at Target.  When another grocery store puts something on sale, I will use my weekly circular to get Target to match that price.  Here's the best part:  I wait until both stores put that item on sale. 

For example, Target advertises a can of Del Monte canned peas at $0.82 each (regular price: $0.97).  But, Pubix advertises that same can of peas at "Buy 1, Get 1 Free."  I then get to buy that can of peas for $0.41 each by showing that Publix ad at Target.  My savings is more than 50% off.  I use this strategy to stock up on canned items (which don't expire for several years).

Bonus Tip:  Stores that match prices must see the entire weekly circular, so don't bring in just the page you need.  They need to see the dates printed on the front or back.