Friday, June 17, 2011

Money Saving Tip #45: High Efficiency Toilet (HET)

High Efficiency Toilet (HET) is real.  When my husband and I moved into our home almost two years ago, we discovered that we had two leaking toilets.  The cost to repair the old toilets was going to be the same price as the labor in installing two new toilets.  So, he and I went down to our local home improvement store and did some research.

We discovered HET's.  A high efficiency toilet (rated 1-10, closer to 10 being a better product) uses about 1.28 gallons of water per flush.  A standard toilet that most homes have use about 5 gallons of water per flush.  This is a huge difference.  We bought two toilets with a rating of 8.  Since our third toilet in our home did not have a leak, we did not replace it.  When it comes time to replace it though, we will definitely buy a HET.  (Knowing this, when I need to use the restroom in our home, I will try to use one the bathrooms with the HET to cut back on my water use.)

Now, I am not saying to go out and buy all new toilets for your home.  My suggestion is that when it comes time to having the need to purchase a new toilet (or two) for your home, consider a HET.  Your water bill will go down.

Don't put a water jug into the tank of a HET (Money Saving Tip #7).