Saturday, June 25, 2011

Money Saving Tip #77: Set Money Aside for Big Purchases

If you are planning on purchasing an item that is going to cost several hundred or several thousand dollars, start planning ahead. Put a little money aside each time you get paid to go toward that purchase. If you put that money into a savings account, you can earn a little interest on what you deposit.

Last year, while pregnant with my 3rd child, my husband and I decided to buy a new digital camera. We wanted to have it before the birth of our son. Knowing that we had about 4 months to plan, I found the camera I decided to buy. Knowing the cost ahead of time, I put about $50 aside from every paycheck until I had saved enough to buy the camera.

If I had gone out and purchased that camera without planning ahead, it would have been devasting to my checking account.