Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Money Saving Tip #83: Make Your Own Baby Food

Let's face it, baby food is expensive, especially if you buy the organic variety.  I have been making my own baby food for my last 2 children.  I have saved lots of money doing so.  The process is not hard, and you don't need to buy any "how-to" books to do it.

If you have a food processor or blender, you can make you own baby food for a fraction of the cost. 

I bought a butternut squash at the grocery store for $3.14.  I used that squash to make more than 27 ounces of baby food ($0.11 per ounce).

Visit your produce section of the grocery store.  Select the fruits and vegetables you want your baby to have.  If the item is already soft like a banana, strawberry, or avocado, all you need to do is mash it with a fork and serve.  If the item is firm, like potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots, you will need to soften them first.  You can do this several ways.  I like to bake/roast the vegetable until it is fork tender.  Then I either use a fork to mash or put it in my food processor to puree.  Once I have finished, I pour individual servings into an ice cube tray and freeze.  When I need to serve, I take a few cubes out, defrost, and serve to my little one.  You can even mix the foods like broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.