Monday, August 29, 2011

Money Saving Tip #138: Give Your Kids Choices

Yesterday, I took my daughter to the store to purchase her some new running shoes for her after-school running program.  She is very excited about starting this new program and meeting some new friends.  My daughter is at that age where fashion is becoming important.  She asked if she could pick out the new shoes.  I am not about to let me daughter (or any of my kids) have an endless opportunity to pick out the latest and greatest $100 pair of shoes. 

I told her that she could help me pick them out.  I told her that I would narrow her choices down to two, and I would let her decide which ones she liked best.  When we entered the store, we went straight to the clearance rack.  She tried on several pairs of shoes; some more comfortable than others.  After she found two comfortable pairs that were within $6 of each other, I let her decide.  One pair was $29.00, and the other pair was $23.00. 

Without hesitation, she grabbed the pink pair of running shoes based on color.  Luckily for me, they were the cheaper of the two pairs of shoes.  Before we left the store, she wanted to put on her new pair of shoes and wear them immediately. 

Let your kids help you decide what they will wear.  You will get your money's worth out of the clothing, and your child will be happy.  The worst thing for a parent to see is a piece of clothing that your child never wears.  This is a waste of money.