Saturday, November 26, 2011

Money Saving Tip #197: Grocery Shop with a Calculator

Inside my coupon folder, I keep a small calculator.  I use this calculator whenever I do my grocery shopping.  I use it to determine the price of an item when there is a certain percentage off.  And, I use it to compare prices. 

When I compare prices, I look at the quantity of the product in the package.  Using the ounces on the product, I can determine the cost of that item per ounce.  Then, I select another similar item.  Using my calculator, I can figure out how much I would be paying per ounce.  Here is an example:

Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt 32 ounces:  $2.34 each = $0.07 per ounce
Dannon Light and Fit Yogurt 6 ounces:  $0.60 each = $0.10 per ounce

Based on my math above, it is cheaper per ounce for me to buy the larger yogurt.  I should buy one large yogurt container rather than 6 individual yogurt containers.  You should do this comparing two similar brands too (Jiff vs. Skippy peanut butter).