Monday, February 6, 2012

Money Saving Tip #216: Apple Cider Vinegar as a Hair Conditioner

Wait!  Don't go!  Keep reading...

The longer your hair is, the more money you will spend on hair care products such as shampoo and conditioner.  Some people wash their hair once a day, every other day, a few times per week, and sometimes even once per week.  Whatever your routine is, I can save you a lot of money if you switch out your conditioner for apple cider vinegar.  Yes, I said, "Apple Cider Vinegar."  Many people store their apple cider vinegar (ACV) in the kitchen where it is used for food preparations. 

Not too long ago, I substituted ACV for conditioner while showering.  I did it on the weekend, because I didn't know what the final result was going to be.  Combine 1 TBSP of ACV with 1 cup of water.  I then put the mixture in my spray mist bottle.  Off to the shower I went. 

After I washed my hair, I sprayed my damp (not soaking wet) hair with ACV.  I sprayed the outer layers, middle layers, and area around the nape of my neck.  I did all this while still standing in the shower.  Yes, the smell was quite disturbing.  Fear not, it fades once your hair is dry.  Some people rinse it out, and some people leave it in their hair. 

After I dried off, I took a comb to my hair.  Fully expecting it to filled with tangles, I braced myself for a tugging session with my scalp.  To my complete surprise, my comb glided through my hair with no tangles.  Once it was dried, my hair was so silky smooth and shiny.  And, still no tangles.  I have been hooked ever since. 

Some people only do this Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse every other day or a couple of times per week.  Give it a try and see what works best for you. 

So, if you want to spend pennies on conditioning your hair, make the switch to apple cider vinegar.  You will be happy you did.