Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Money Saving Tip #34: Don't Leave Product at the Bottom of the Container

If you are like me, you cannot stand the thought of leaving that last drop of whatever at the bottom of the bottle or tube.  If you are familiar with conditioner bottles, shampoo bottles, laundry detergent, liquid fabric softener, you will know that it is very hard to get the last little bit left at the bottom of the container.

When it comes to your liquid laundry detergent or liquid fabric softener, don't be afraid to cut open the package to get the last drop.  While doing laundry this past weekend, I noticed that I still had a load of laundry worth leftover at the bottom of my Wisk container.  Using my scissors, I cut a small hole in the side of the package and drained the leftover.  I had enough for another load of laundry that I otherwise would have thrown away.  This is the same for fabric softener. 

For shampoo and conditioner, use a small swig of water to loosen the remaining product from the inside walls of the container.  If this doesn't work, just use some scissors to cut the package open and get what you paid for. 

Don't forget to recycle the plastic containers once you are done with them.