Friday, June 17, 2011

Money Saving Tip #48: Ask for Free Samples

Earlier today I visited my eye doctor to pick up some contact lenses that I ordered.  Before I left, I asked the receptionist for a free sample of the saline solution that I use.  I walked away with a small bottle of the solution and a contact lens case.  I will use this to keep in my desk at work in case I need to take out my contact lenses. 

You can do this for many places.  The next time your doctor writes a prescription for a medication, ask if they have any free samples to give you.  This serves two purposes:  1) you can try the product to see if it is something you like, and 2) reduce (or eliminate) the amount of money you spend on the prescription.  During one of my pregnancys, I receive enough free samples of a prenatal vitamin that I did not have to buy any at the store or my pharmacy for a couple months. 

Doctors, Denists, and just about any health care professional get these sample boxes for free from the manufacturer to give out to their customers.  So, there is no additional cost to you or the doctor for these samples.