Thursday, June 23, 2011

Money Saving Tip #68: Don't Buy a New Car

There are some people out there that buy a new car as frequently as they change their windshield wipers.  Don't be one of those people.  Resist the urge to go out and buy the newest and greatest car.  Would I love to have a brand new SUV in my driveway?  Sure, but I forgo the new car so I don't have the $600/month car payment.

Rather than buying a new car, invest some money to fix the one you already have.  Sure, you may have to spend several hundred (or thousand) dollars to get it up and running, but you won't have those dreadful car payments. 

Avoid going to a dealership to buy a new or used car.  Look in the newspaper or the internet and attempt to buy a used car from a private citizen. 

My husband and I own three cars that are all completely paid for.  Here's the catch:  our newest car is over 11 years old.  Our other cars are 17 and 25 years old.  Sure, they break down.  And yes, we spend money fixing them, but we don't have any car payments.  When the time comes that we need to replace one of our cars, we have decided that we will only buy a used car.