Friday, August 5, 2011

Money Saving Tip #114: Slow Cooked Roast

One of my favorite money saving tips involves cooking a roast in my slow cooker. Making a large (5 lb.) roast allows me to feed my family for at least 3 dinners plus lunches for myself. On night two, we use some of the leftover meat to make tacos. We can make philly cheese sandwiches for night three. And if any is leftover after that, we can use the meat for toppings on a homemade pizza.

The concept with this tip is to buy a cheaper meat like a pork shoulder (butt) and slow cook it so it becomes shredded meat that can be used for several days. I like to wait until the boston butt goes on sale for $1.99 per pound and then I buy several roasts. I freeze them for later uses.

Cooking a roast can be super simple with few ingredients. Don't feel compelled to buy exotic spices to make the perfect roast. Here's one of my favorite roast recipes:

5-6 lb. Roast
3-5 cups beef or chicken stock
1 package onion soup mix (powder)
2 onions
Salt and pepper

Cut onions into large chunks and put on bottom of slow cooker. Salt and pepper the roast. In a small bowl, combine the stock and onion soup powder. Place roast on top of the onions. Pour the stock / soup mix over the roast. Cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours. After fulled cooked, remove roast and shred with 2 forks. Enjoy.

Don't be afraid to add any herbs or spices that you have on hand based on your taste preferences.