Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Money Saving Tip #115: Backpacks for your Kids

It's time for your kids to go back to school.  I have a child in 3rd Grade and a Pre-K student.  Rather than buying a brand new backpack for my daughter's school year, she is going to re-use one of her old backpacks from her previous grade.  The backpack is in perfectly good condition and does not need to be replaced. 

She had 5 backpacks stored at the top of her closet.  I understand her not wanting to use a Dora backpack (too young for her age), but she can use her backpack with the flowers on it. 

My advice to you is to re-use your kids backpacks.  My second piece of advise is to buy backpacks that can carry over from year to year.  I recommend buying a durable backpack and one that is not theme-specific.  Your kids will grow in and out of themes (Dora, Hanna Montana, Little Einsteins, Hello Kitty, etc.).  Buy a backpack that is a generic design or color that can be used for more than one use.