Thursday, September 29, 2011

Money Saving Tip #168: Start Christmas Shopping in the Summer and Fall

If you are like most people, you wait to shop for Christmas gifts until the last few weeks before the holidays.  I am guilty of this.  I have taken a new approach to Christmas shopping that will reduce my stress and keep more money in my wallet.

I have already started Christmas shopping, and it's still September.  Whenever I visit the grocery store (Target), I start my shopping in the toy section.  I look for the toys on clearance and the ones in the end-cap.  This past weekend, I bought my daughter a toy in the clearance section for $5.00.  The regular price for that item was more than $20.00. 

If you do your shopping early, you won't miss out on seasonal purchases that your child may want for Christmas.  If your child wants a squirt gun (Super Soaker) for Christmas, you will not be able to find it at the toy store.  Because it is a spring and summer item, it will be out of stock.  Buy seasonal items at the end of the season, and it may be significantly reduced.  Target had summer items on sale 2 weeks ago for 75% off.  I stocked up on stuff my kids love.   

When you get home, make sure you find a good hiding place for your gifts.  I recommend hiding everything in one location, so all your purchases don't get lost or forgotten about.