Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Money Saving Tip #181: Homemade Cough Syrup

After avoiding contact with my kids and husband for the past 3 weeks, I am now starting to feel the effects of their colds and persistent cough.  Any over-the-counter or prescription medication can be quite costly.  Rather than rushing out the door to spend $10 on cough medication, I went to the internet instead.  I googled "homemade cough syrup" and found lots of results.

Many recipes call for honey, lemon juice, and whiskey.  Since I don't drink alcohol, I continued my search.  I found a recipe that calls for ingredients that I already have in my pantry.  Then, I read the reviews.  To my surprise, most of the people who reviewed this recipe said that it cured them of their cough and colds.

Ingredients:
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp water (optional - though most people omitted this because they didn't want to water down the honey coating)

Directions:
Mix all ingredients together.  Take 3 tbsp. 

You can pre-make this recipe and keep it with you in case you have any cough attacks. 

The majority of the reviewers said that the recipe tastes horrible, but that it works!