Monday, October 24, 2011

Money Saving Tip #180: Make Your Own Curtains and Pillows

Curtains and decor pillows can be a lot of money.  Depending on the fabric of a curtain you want and your window's size, you could spend more than $100 for curtains for just one window.  If you can sew a straight line, you can make your own curtains.  I made curtains for my baby's room to help keep it dark.  I bought fabric at the hobby store when it was 40% off.  Then, I pulled out my sewing machine that I bought for less than $100 10 years ago.  I made my own curtains for his room for about $30. 

If you find a pretty fabric at the hobby store, consider making a couch pillow or seat pillow out of it.  Getting the couch or seat re-upholstered can be quite costly, but you can add a punch of color by adding a pillow instead.  Use the pillows you already have and sew a pillow cover to slip over them. 

You can find hundreds of videos on www.youtube.com on how to do these do-it-yourself projects.