Thursday, December 22, 2011

Money Saving Tip #203: Pay in Person to Avoid Fees

Some organizations offer the option to pay on-line for ease ability.  But, some of those places charge an extra "on-line fee" to make the transaction. 

Though my daughter brings her lunch to school on a daily basis, I do allow her to buy her lunch as a special treat on certain days.  Her school utilizes a website to collect lunch money, but they also take checks made directly to the school to fund her lunch account also.  If I fund her account using the website, I will be charged an extra $1.95 per transaction.  To avoid these extra unnecessary costs, I opt to write a check directly to the school. 

To pay the registration fees on my vehicle every year, I have the option of paying on-line or in person.  If I pay on-line, there are extra fees to utilize the web, usually $3.00.  However, if I pay in person, there are no extra fees.  I am lucky that I live in a county where the lines are very manageable.  Some of our locations even have a drive-thru feature. 

In the end, you should weigh the pros and cons of paying on-line.  If you will spend more money in gas to pay a bill or fee in person, it may be better to pay on-line with a small fee.  But, if you need to pay a bill or fee at a location located within the normal route you take, consider making the quick stop to avoid the fees.