Friday, December 23, 2011

Money Saving Tip #204: Insulate Your Attic Yourself

Let's face it, you can never have too much attic insulation.  The standard amount of insulation put into attics when a home is built is fair at best.  My husband and I wanted to add some loose fill insulation in our attic, but we didn't want to spend thousands of dollars to have someone do it.  We decided to do it ourselves. 

I spent about a week on the internet researching how-to videos getting all my ducks in a row.  Then, we visited the local home improvement store to price our project.  While there, we inquired about renting the tool to blow the loose fill.  We learned that if we bought a certain number of bags of loose fill, the tool rental was free for an entire day. 

We set aside a full day to do the project.  The first thing I did was go up into my attic and fix any sheets of insulation that had fallen.  Then I re-stapled any styrofoam cornice pieces that needed to be refastened.  Next, we used bubble wrap to keep the vertical pieces from falling again in the future.  We stapled the bubble wrap in place against the 2x4s.  Next, I stood in the attic with the AttiCat hose while my husband loaded the machine on our front porch.  In the end, we managed to obtain at least R48 everywhere in the attic with some places of R60.  The last thing we did was buy an insulated dome cover for the attic door.  The entire project cost us about $400 and about 4 hours of our time.  It was well worth it. 

Our home keeps it's heat much better.  Our heater does not turn on as much because the heat stays in the house longer. 

If your home is in need for insulation, consider doing it yourself and saving several hundred or thousands of dollars.